This object is in archive! 

Delivery fee incorrect

Brian R. shared this question 9 years ago
Answered

688592 - Showing a delivery fee for 40-50 miles but when I click on the map it comes up 52 miles and when I put in google it comes up 54 miles. Please advise

Best Answer
photo

When I test it, the mapping API is returning 50 miles (49.645). I am not sure why the difference. I would guess it's finding a different route than what you are seeing when you test in your browser. We ask for the shortest travel time, but I don't think we get traffic data, so it may be the difference between the route it recommends to you vs the route it is recommending to us.

Comments (5)

photo

When I test it, the mapping API is returning 50 miles (49.645). I am not sure why the difference. I would guess it's finding a different route than what you are seeing when you test in your browser. We ask for the shortest travel time, but I don't think we get traffic data, so it may be the difference between the route it recommends to you vs the route it is recommending to us.

photo

So the API is different than the map that pulls up when you click "map"? I'm looking at google and it there are a few different ways to get there but none of them are less than 54 miles. If the API is showing less than 50 miles but real world is 54 shouldn't it use the 54 miles?

photo

We take the best result from the API. If the API doesn't consider traffic, it may return a different result as the best result. For example, maybe the following are returned for the two different methods:

API (no traffic):

1) 49miles, 50 minutes

2) 55miles, 52 minutes

3) 53miles, 51 minutes

Mapping Site (with traffic):

2) 55miles, 55 minutes

3) 53miles, 56 minutes

1) 49miles, 59 minutes

I'll have to check to see if we are able to get API info with traffic or not.

photo

I played around on google a little and it looks like technically you can get there in under 50 miles but it's a bunch of side streets, which adds another 15 min to the travel time. I get that you just pull from an API but it's frustrating when I get one result from the API but click on the map to verify and it shows different mileage, but both from IO

photo

I'm sorry it's frustrating. We have been discussing some changes to make it easier for people to track down and review these issues.

Replies have been locked on this page!